If you’re seeking employment in Australia and wish to avoid fulfilling most of the requirements for other types of work visas, Australian Graduate visa could be a useful shortcut.
Wait, is this information accurate?
Yes, the Subclass 485 Visa is classified under the General Skilled Migration Program, yet it does not require you to have extensive skills and 5 years + experience.
Interesting, isn’t it? Especially if you are an international student looking to stay in Australia after graduation.
This article by education ONE will present all the necessary information you need to know before applying for the Visa, such as how to apply, how much does it cost, what you can do, and how long this Visa will allow you to stay.
Make sure not to miss every detail. Contact us here now.
Below are the spotlights of this article:
- What is the Australian Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)?
- Qualifications You Need to Qualify for an Australian Graduate Visa
- How Important is an Australian Postgraduate Visa for Your Future?
- Are you eligible for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) in Australia?
- The Most Common Mistakes When Applying for an Australian Graduate Visa
Don’t miss our article: The Ultimate Guide to Permanent Residency Benefits in Australia: Everything You Need to Know
What is the Australian Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)?
The Australian Temporary Graduate Visa or also known as the Australian Graduate Visa or Post-Study Visa will let you live, study, and work full-time in Australia temporarily after you finish your Australian studies and obtain an Australian qualification.
How to Apply for a Post Graduate Visa in Australia?
Once your educational institution has confirmed the successful completion of your course, it is important to initiate the necessary steps without delay:
Steps you need to take before applying for an Australian Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485):
- Make sure you hold eligible Visa
- You are a primary holder of an existing student visa, (but not a sponsored holder of the Department of Defense or the Secretary of Foreign Affairs and Trade);
- You held a student visa within the last six months prior to submitting your application, and now have an A or B bridge visa, granted on the basis of a valid visa application;
- You obtained a student visa within the last six months before submitting your application and you now hold a substantive visa;
- You are outside Australia and hold or have held an eligible student visa, (but not one supported by the Department of Defense or the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade).
- Ensure you have a passport
- Check the conditions of your current Visa
- If you have a No Further Stay (8534 or 8503) on your current Visa, you cannot apply for this Visa online. You will need to apply and cancel this condition by filling out Form 1447 “Withdrawal from Further Residence”. Then you will need to submit the ImmiAccount technical support form.
- Organise your health examinations
- A medical examination may be required. You can complete it before you apply or wait until after you apply for the Visa.
- Get help with your application
- Only some people can help you with your app. If you designate someone to provide you with immigration assistance, they must be: Registered Migration Agent; legal practitioner, or Exempt person.
- Gather the documents
- Remember that each application is unique. What works for your friends will not always work for you.
- Make sure you have provided all relevant information to your situation to obtain a more successful outcome.
- You may need up to three months to compile all the requirements, ensure you allow some time to gather your documents by starting the visa preparation as soon as possible.
Steps you need to take when applying for an Australian Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485):
- Provide accurate information.
- Please don’t risk it. See what happens if you can’t prove your identity or don’t provide true information.
- Apply for the Visa online
- You must apply for this Visa through making an online application on the IMMIAccount.
- Visa outcome
- You must be in Australia when the Immigration decides your visa application. Graduates affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions can obtain this Visa outside Australia.
- Subsequent participants may be inside or outside Australia.
- You will receive the decision in writing in approximately nine to twelve months.
IMPORTANT NOTES: Once you have submitted your next Australian Graduate Visa application, you will be granted a Bridging Visa A that will be active if your previous Visa has expired before any decision on your Graduate Visa.
If you have made a very completed Australian Graduate Visa application, you may have your Graduate Visa granted quicker. It gives important value to your chance of getting hired.
Make sure you have placed your application carefully. Talk to our career development consultants for free NOW!
When can I apply for an Australian Graduate visa?
It is essential to note that the application for this visa should be made within six months of the official course completion date.
Therefore, it is highly recommended to commence the application process at the earliest to avoid missing the deadline.
How much does a graduate visa cost in Australia?
As of March 2023, the cost of an Australian Graduate Visa has increased to AUD1.730. This fee is payable at the time of visa application and is subject to change by July each year.
From Where You Can Apply?
When you apply for this Visa and the Immigration approves your application, you must be in Australia, but not on the immigration clearance.
Graduates affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions can also apply for and obtain this Visa outside of Australia.
Subsequent entrants can be in or outside Australia at the time of application and when the Immigration grants the Visa.
In general, this Australian Graduate Visa can only be applied from inside Australia (onshore) but due to the border restrictions, the Australian government offers a concession that online study undertaken outside Australia will count towards the Australian Study Requirement (ASR) for existing and new student visa holders.
Please note that you could claim your online studies to meet the Australian Graduate Visa requirements if only you do it while having a valid Student visa (subclass 500).
Can I apply for this Visa with a Visa Refusal or Cancellation History?
The Australian Graduate Visa prevents you from applying if you have ever had a visa refused or cancelled while you are in Australia.
Make sure you check your eligibility before applying for this Visa, and don’t risk another refusal! Consult with education ONE for free here.
How can I get PR from 485 visa?
Obtaining permanent resident status in Australia can be a complex process, but it is achievable through various pathways.
While the Australian Temporary Graduate Visa does not provide a guaranteed pathway to permanent residency, it can be a valuable pathway for international students to gain PR in Australia after completing their studies.
With this visa, international students have access to different available paths such as the Graduate Work Stream and Post Study Work Stream.
Although the visa duration may not exceed five years, there is a Second Post Study Work Stream available for those who hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher, particularly for those studying in regional Australia.
Moreover, recent changes to the rules for Australian Temporary Graduate Visas have added an extra two years to the duration of the Post Study Work Stream, providing more time for international students to qualify for a work visa or permanent residency in Australia.
So, if you want to take advantage of this opportunity, start by investing in your education and developing a solid long-term plan. Contact education ONE today and speak to one of our expert consultants to get started on your journey to success in Australia.
How Important is an Australian Postgraduate Visa for Your Future?
For international students looking to establish a career in Australia, the subclass 485 visa can prove to be a critical stepping stone; It allows them to gain practical work experience in their field of study, which can significantly enhance their employability prospects.
The visa also provides an excellent opportunity for graduates to develop their professional networks and establish meaningful connections with potential employers.
Read what are the Australian Temporary Graduate Visa key benefits below.
The Benefits of Temporary Graduate Visa in Australia
The key benefit of a postgraduate student visa is its flexibility.
One of the main benefits of the Temporary Graduate Visa is that it has no restrictions, allowing you to spend your time in Australia after your studies however you wish.
Australian Graduate Visa is a popular option and is often part of the visa journey for students seeking long-term or permanent residency in Australia.
Its flexibility allows graduate visa holders to use your time in Australia to prepare the necessary elements to obtain more visas.
This may include, for example, gaining work experience, obtaining qualifications, and living for a given minimum period in a designated area of Australia.
Australian Graduate Visas are often the most critical Visa for international students’ migration strategies. This Visa allows you to:
- Get the work experience you need to qualify for a positive skill assessment.
- Get the time you need to apply for and obtain a positive skill assessment or get state sponsorship.
- Get extra time to continue developing your English skills or taking a Professional Year Program for additional points for general skilled migration, and
- Build the necessary relationships with your employer and encourage them to sponsor you.
Or maybe you’re just not ready to leave and want to spend more time in Australia and experience more of what Australia offers after you’ve finished studying.
Whether it’s an extended vacation, travel around the country to explore its unique attractions, world-famous landmarks, and the rich cultural experiences you’ll see and experience there, or just the locals.
Live with the people of the world and save money before returning home.
No matter what you want to achieve in Australia, a postgraduate visa is an ideal choice because it provides you with the opportunity to spend more time in Australia with no strings attached that are common to other visas, so you can consider and/or plan your next step.
Qualifications You Need to Qualify for an Australian Graduate Visa
A “registered” institution is an Australian university or non-university institution that is registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and offers courses at diploma level or bachelor’s level or above.
The qualifications accepted to qualify for an Australian Graduate Visa are:
- Qualified Diploma’s degree;:
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Bachelor’s Degree (Honors Degree);
- Master’s Degree in Coursework;
- Master’s degree in Research;
- Master’s (extended) degree and/or;
Please note that your eligibility requirements will be evaluated when you apply for your first Temporary Graduate Visa.
The Australian Graduate Visa is currently divided into three streams, namely:
- Graduate Work Stream,
- Post-Study Work stream,
- Second Post-Study Work stream, and
- Replacement stream
Australian Graduate Visa (subclass 485) Graduate Work stream
This Visa is for those who have just graduated from a Diploma degree and nominate an occupation from the skilled occupation list.
With this Visa, you can stay in Australia, usually for 18 months. Temporarily extended to 24 months for visas granted from 1 December 2021.
Hong Kong and British National Overseas passport holders may stay up to 5 years.
You can also travel, work or study in Australia during your stay.
Once you make an application for this visa stream, the Immigration estimates their assessment process until there is a decision on your Visa.
It may take ten to thirteen months, although it may take a shorter or longer amount of time.
If you are granted this Visa, you must find a job yourself. The n Department of Home Affairs is not responsible for arranging employment.
You can’t stay in Australia longer by extending this Visa stream. You might be eligible for other skilled work visas.
Australian Graduate Visa (subclass 485) Post-Study Work stream
This Visa is for you who have at least graduated with a Bachelor degree in Australia.
Once you make an application for this visa stream, the Immigration estimates their assessment process until there is a decision on your Visa that may take 3 – 15 months, even though you may get it faster or longer.
With this Visa you can stay in Australia for 2 to 4 years after graduation.
The length of your stay in Australia depends on your level of Australian study.
- Bachelor’s degree (including honours degree): 2 years
- Master of Research and Master of Coursework: 3 years
- PhD: 4 years
- Hong Kong and BNO passport holders with a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree: 5 years
You can travel, work or study in Australia during your stay.
Second Post-Study Work stream
Did you know that you could be eligible for a second Temporary Graduate Visa after your first Post-Study Work Stream?
In March 2019, the government announced a new subclass 485 temporary graduate visa.
It provides international students studying at a regional university with access for an additional 1-2 years on a post-study work visa in Australia.
List of Regional Area Postcodes:
The regional definition consists of 3 categories and provides regional incentives for skilled migrants migrating to locations in category 2 ‘cities and major regional centres’ or category 3 ‘regional centres and other regional areas’.
- Category 2 – Cities and Major Regional Centers of Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Canberra, Newcastle/Lake Macquarie, Wollongong/Illawarra, Geelong and Hobart;
- Category 3 – Regional centres and other regional areas (including the regional postal codes specified in the table below):
This new temporary graduate visa requires continuous residence in a regional centre or other regional area, or a designated area, providing additional incentives for international students to study and live in the Australian region.
Also read: Study in Regional Australia
It aims to attract more migrants to settle in smaller Australian cities and regions, support their growth, help fill many needed employment vacancies, and relieve pressure on major cities. It is part of a series of measures taken.
Before we continue to discuss the requirements in more detail, it is also important to note that you are not required to provide proof of English proficiency or a new AFP clearance when applying for a second post-study work visa.
However, it is necessary to provide evidence of adequate health insurance coverage from the date of application.
Also keep in mind a maximum of two Australian Graduate Visa you may hold after graduation.
Are you interested in this program? Well, the good news is that eligible graduate visa holders in the post-study work stream may now qualify for this new Visa.
To be eligible for the second post-study work visa, you as international students must:
- Have obtained a university degree or postgraduate degree from a registered educational institution for which either a degree has been completed:
- In a regional centre or another regional area at an educational institution located in the regional centre or another regional area;
- A designated regional area at an educational institution based in the designated regional area;
- Have lived only in a regional centre or other regional area or in a designated regional area during the studies that led to the issue of the first Australian Graduate Visa – Post-Study Work Stream; and
- Have maintained continuing residence in a regional centre or other regional area or in a designated regional area for at least two years while holding your first Australian Graduate Visa.
Planning an Australian visa application can be very complex. Not to mention the many details you should not miss. Trust your Visa with us and become worry-free! Book your FREE consultation with our career development consultants now!
The Regional Requirements to Qualify for a Second Post-Study Work Visa
When applying for your second temporary graduate visa, the essential requirements from the Department of Home Affairs (the Department) are whether you meet the regional study and continuous residence requirements. See the checklist below:
- Did you complete your studies in the respective regional area at an educational institution based in the respective regional area?
- Did you only live in the respective region during the course mentioned above?
- Immediately before applying for your second temporary graduate post student visa, did you only live in one relevant regional area for at least two years?
- If you have also worked and/or studied, did you only do so in a relevant regional area for at least two years immediately prior to applying for your second Australian Graduate Visa?
- Do you live only in the relevant area when you decided to apply for a second subclass 485 visa?
- If you are also working or studying when deciding to apply for a second Australian Graduate Visa, do you only do so in the relevant area?
- Do you and your dependents declare their intention to live only in the relevant area in your second post-study work visa application?
- If you also intend to work or study, do you and your dependents declare that you will only do so in the relevant area in your second post-study work visa application?
Are you eligible for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) in Australia?
This Visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution with CRICOS.
To apply you must:
- Be younger than 50 years of age;
- Hold an eligible visa;
- Have included in your application evidence that you have met the English language requirement;
- Meet the Australian study requirement in the last six months;
- Meet health and character requirements;
- Have health insurance in Australia;
- Meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this Visa.
Post-Study Work Stream requirements:
- Must possess eligible qualifications such as Bachelor degree, bachelor (honours) degree, Masters by coursework degree, Masters (extended) degree, Masters by research degree, or doctoral degree;
- You applied for, and were granted, your first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011;
- You hold an eligible qualification;
- Your qualification was conferred or awarded by an Australian university or non-university education provider that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Courses and Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and that provider offers courses at degree level and above;
- Your study for the qualification(s) satisfied the Australian study requirement in the past six months.
Graduate Work Stream requirements:
- Must possess eligible qualifications such as a degree, Diploma or trade qualification;
- Nominate an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). You can only choose one and cannot change it after you apply. (Note: this is not required for applications lodged between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2023);
- Your visa application included evidence that you had applied for a skills assessment for your nominated skilled occupation by a relevant assessing authority;
- Your skills have been assessed by a relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated skilled occupation (‘suitable skills assessment’);
- You have met the Australian study requirement in the past six months; each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement is closely related to your nominated skilled occupation.
This Visa allows you and your family to stay in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. While in Australia, you can:
Can I add my family to my 485 visa?
When you apply for an Australian Graduate Visa, you can include your family members in the application.
Families applying for visas must meet the health and character requirements.
You can add children to the application up until the application is decided. During that period, no other members of the family unit can be added to the application.
The Most Common Mistakes When Applying for an Temporary Graduate Visa
At first glance, applying for a graduate visa might seem like a relatively straightforward and simple process.
In reality, however, there are some aspects that you need to pay special attention to in order to avoid mistakes and potentially miss your chance to apply for an Australian Graduate visa.
A mistake, as minor as it may seem, can seriously affect your overall journey towards obtaining a visa in Australia.
It is important to know that you must apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa within a certain time limit to be eligible, meaning that if you do a mistake in your graduate visa application and need to apply again, you may have lost the opportunity to qualify for the Visa, and you will need a reassessment of alternative options to meet your Australian visa goals.
International students keep falling into the trap of applying for an Australian Graduate Visa
Interpreting and applying the technical procedures related to the graduate visa application and application can cause serious problems for potential applicants, costing thousands of dollars and even the opportunity for permanent residence.
Graduate visa is risky. The legal minefield that makes up immigration regulations for the granting of a graduate visa means that one wrong move, no matter how innocent, can cause an application to be refused. Postgraduate visa refusal may lead to serious consequences:
- It enlivens the Article 48 of the Immigration Law (referred to as Article 48), which prevents further visa applications (except for partner visas, humanitarian visas and some other obscure visa types) from being processed within the country;
- If applicants are forced to leave Australia due to a visa refusal, they will not be able to reapply for the Visa because the onshore visa refusal history will make them not eligible for the Visa;
- If applicants are forced to leave Australia after their studies due to any other reasons, they will have to enter Australia before being eligible to apply for this Visa because this Visa can only be applied onshore*;
- Whether a visitor visa will be issued for this case is highly precarious. The key point is the criterion of genuine temporary entrants, which would be difficult to meet given the previous events.
*) Note that graduates affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions will now be able to apply for and receive their first temporary graduate visa outside of Australia under prescribed circumstances during the concession period (which began 1 February, 2020). Eligible prospective applicants for a second Temporary Graduate Visa subclass 485 must apply for the Visa in Australia, but may be granted a visa outside of Australia during the concession period, provided certain requirements are met.
The dangers associated with the graduation visa system are varied. Key issues for which a failure occurs include:
- Skills assessment body that does not give a positive assessment of the nominated occupation (Graduate Stream);
- You do not technically meet the study requirements in Australia (which requires 2 academic years within 16 months completed in the last 6 months, resulting in a certain type of qualification, with an appropriate visa allowing this study)*
- Failure to obtain the required level of English by the date of application;
- Failure to take action on health insurance and police checks before the date of application;
- The absence of an appropriate visa at the time of application or within six months from the date of application; and
- Various technical violations.
*) Please be aware that there are special concessions for applicants who are affected by the COVID-19 travel restrictions.
What We can Do to Help You Secure Your Australian Graduate Visa?
Every year, students get tricked by Australian graduate visas. Don’t be one of them. The application may look simple, but it contains some fatal elements that are often overlooked.
Don’t risk – Make sure you get a visa you are eligible for, and a strategy in place for permanent residence in Australia with a quality Migration agent.
education ONE is an experienced education agent with in-house Migration Agents. If you are unsure of whether you have met all the requirements for your Australian Graduate Visa (subclass 485) in Australia, book a FREE study and Student Visa Consultation with one of our Career Development Consultants or contact us education ONE Australia through email at [email protected] or via phone on at 1300 083 663 (within Australia).
Our in-house Migration Agents have a 99% success rate when it comes to all visas, and their main aim is to help people migrate to Australia.
At ONE derland Consulting along with our highly experienced and professional Registered Migration Agents we have a dedicated team of consultants that will be on hand to offer you insight and assistance on securing your Australian Graduate Visa.
We have years of experience in helping hundreds of international students fulfil their visa requirements no matter how complex the circumstances. We treat every individual differently based on their situation to determine the best options for their future Visa. We look forward to assisting you with your Visa and dream of working after studying in Australia.
Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!
Prepare Your Journey To Study in Australia with Us!
In applying for a Student Visa to Study in Australia, you will need to prove that you have enough money to cover your travel and stay costs in Australia.
Want to find out how much money you need? Use our unique calculator and get an estimate of the amount! 🧮
You can also compare Australian Government-approved Overseas Student Health Cover providers and find the best offer for you! ⚖️
Most of our clients’ problems start because they started their study plan in Australia without anybody telling them what they need to do and prepare.
By joining our free phone session, we will help you plan your journey and recognize obstacles so you can avoid problems that could jeopardise your chances to study in Australia. And we are offering it to you FOR FREE.