🚨🚨 New Feature Alerts! 🚨🚨 Easily plan the financial aspect of your Australian study plan with our newest study funds calculator and OSHC provider comparer.
change course in australia

Are you an international student studying in Australia who is considering changing your course for various reasons such as a desire to pursue a PR course or feeling that your current course no longer fits your academic aspirations? 

Recent changes to student visa regulations have made it more difficult to switch courses, taking into account factors such as the duration of the course you’re currently taking, the type of visa you hold, and the new course you want to pursue. 

However, fear not, as education ONE is here to guide you on how to change courses in Australia in 2024. 

Get ready to learn more and take the first step towards achieving your academic goals!

Can International Students Change Courses in Australia in 2024?

Yes, but under the newly implemented Australia Student Visa 2022 regulations, which went into effect on July 1 of the previous year, international students may encounter greater difficulty in altering their course of study or withdrawing from their universities.

can international students change courses in australia 2023

According to a recent statement, international students are now barred from altering their courses in Australia without the Minister’s explicit permission, as mandated by the updated regulation.

“The Minister cannot approve the change unless satisfied that there is not an unreasonable risk of unwanted transfer of critical technology by the Student (subclass 500) visa holders studying, or intending to undertake, higher education studies that they do not change their degree or research subject” according to an explanatory statement from the federal home legislation.

You have the option of switching from one course to another at the same or a new institution.

If you are a student who has not yet completed six months of your current course and wishes to transfer to a different institution, it is necessary to obtain a release from your current education provider before enrolling in a new program. 

Although you may receive a Letter of Offer from the new institution, you will not be able to obtain a new Confirmation of Enrollment if your current education provider does not grant permission for you to withdraw.

Should you contest the decision made by your present education provider, there is an option to lodge an appeal.

Seeking guidance on changing courses as an international student in Australia? Don’t let bureaucratic hurdles stand in your way—schedule your consultation now and take control of your educational journey in Australia

Changing course after the Australian Student Visa new rules

Prior to July 2022, international students were only allowed to change their enrolled course after completing at least six months of study with permission from their educational institution. 

However, the Australian Student Visa regulations were updated and now require permission from the Minister in certain circumstances. 

For postgraduate qualifications, such as changing or starting a new course, research topic or thesis, the Minister’s consent is necessary.

You cannot begin or change your course of study, thesis, or research topic without the Minister’s consent for the following postgraduate qualifications:

  • graduate certificate
  • graduate diploma
  • master’s degree
  • doctorate, or
  • any bridging course required as a prerequisite to a course of study or research for a master’s degree or doctorate

The Minister will only approve a change of course request after receiving confirmation from the appropriate Australian authorities that you are not considered a direct or indirect threat to the country’s national security. 

If you wish to pursue a master’s or doctoral program, a bridging course may be required as a prerequisite for your course of study or research.

You must fill out Form 1221 – Additional Personal Particulars Information (PDF) and send it to [email protected] if you’re considering changing your thesis, major, or research area. You must write “8203/8204 assessment” in the subject line.

Can Bachelor students change their courses in Australia?

Studies that are not subject to the restrictions outlined in condition 8204 do not require Ministerial approval to change course. 

However, it is important to note that the availability of seats in the desired course must be confirmed and a compelling reason for the change must be provided. 

can bachelor students change their courses in australia

In other words, a change of course will only be granted if there is an available seat and a strong rationale for the switch.

Do I need to change my visa if I get a new course?

If you are an international student studying in Australia and want to change your course of study, you may not need to apply for a new student visa, as long as the new course is at the same or higher level of qualification as your current course. 

This means that if you are currently studying for a Bachelor’s degree and want to switch to a Master’s degree, you don’t need to apply for a new student visa, as long as your current visa is still valid.

However, if you want to change to a course that is at a lower level of qualification, such as switching from a Bachelor’s degree to a Diploma, you will need to apply for a new student visa. 

Ready to explore your options for changing your course of study as an international student in Australia? Our team at education ONE is here to guide you through the process. Reach out now to schedule your appointment and take the next step towards achieving your educational goals.

Changing Courses Within the Same Institution

If you’re looking to change your course within the same educational institution in Australia, the process can be relatively straightforward. 

Typically, you’ll need to complete at least six months of your primary course before you can consider switching to another course. 

Once you’ve completed this minimum period, you can generally withdraw from your current course and enrol in a new one.

It’s important to note that while the process may be simpler within the same institution, there may still be some requirements to fulfil. 

You may need to meet certain academic standards or provide documentation to support your request for a course change. 

changing courses within the same institution a step-by-step guide

Additionally, availability of seats in the desired course may be a factor in whether or not you’re able to make the switch.

To ensure a smooth transition, it’s essential to reach out to your institution and inquire about their policies and procedures for changing courses. 

You may need to fill out paperwork or attend a meeting with an academic advisor to discuss your options. 

By staying proactive and informed, you can increase your chances of successfully changing your course within the same institution.

If you have enrolled for your first 6 months or more

Once you have completed at least six months of your primary course, you have the option to withdraw from your current educational institution and enrol in a different program of study. 

This process is often easier to navigate than transferring to a new institution altogether. It’s important to note, however, that the specific regulations and requirements may vary depending on your institution and the courses you’re considering. 

To ensure a smooth transition, be sure to consult with your current institution and any potential new institutions you’re interested in attending. 

They can provide you with more information about the process and any relevant deadlines or paperwork you’ll need to complete.

By doing so, you can make the most informed decision possible and take the first step towards achieving your academic goals.

If you have been enrolled for less than 6 months

If you’re looking to change your course within the same institution and haven’t completed the first six months of your primary course, the process can be a bit more challenging. 

You’ll need to seek permission from your current course provider and obtain a release letter in order to switch courses. 

To obtain the release letter, you’ll typically need to provide a letter of offer from the new course provider. It’s important to note that switching to a different course is only possible if there are available seats in that particular major. 

In cases where the demand for a major is high, it’s possible that even top-performing students may not be able to switch due to a lack of availability. 

As such, it’s essential to carefully consider your options and make a backup plan in case your preferred course is not available.

Book a FREE CONSULTATION with our education consultant to check your eligibility to change your course in Australia NOW!

How to Change Course to Another Institution?

Changing courses within an institution or switching institutions can be a challenging process, and some universities may not consider it. 

To be approved for a course change, you need to provide a valid and genuine explanation for why you need to change and a formal offer from the new institution to your current one. 

If the relevant authority is satisfied with your explanation, they may grant you permission to make the switch.

Before leaving your current institution, it is important to ensure that all dues have been paid and any outstanding payments are cleared. 

Your current institution may provide you with the terms and conditions after you receive a no-due certificate.

If you are approved to switch institutions and courses, and are fortunate enough, you may be able to enrol in second- or third-semester classes at the new institution once you have provided all necessary documents such as diplomas, transcripts, and conduct certificates from your previous institution.

Plan ahead with us if you want the most straightforward educational experience possible in Australia. You can select the ideal alternative in Australia that fits your objective with the assistance of our career development advisers. Book a FREE Phone Session today!

Is it easy to transfer between universities in Australia?

It is possible to transfer between universities in Australia, but it can be more challenging than transferring between colleges. The process may vary between universities, so it’s important to read the specific requirements and regulations of the university you are interested in transferring to. 

Additionally, you may need to submit transcripts and documents to prove your academic qualifications. 

It’s also important to research the entry requirements for your intended course, and make sure you meet them before considering a transfer. 

With the right preparation and research, transferring to universities in Australia can be a smooth and successful process.

It is challenging to switch academic providers; you must adhere to the necessary laws. One of the rules states that you must give compelling justifications for your need to switch providers. 

Additionally, you must have chosen a new educational institution, which you can visit since you are currently in Australia.

When requesting a release letter from your present education provider, you must do so with reasonable cause and supporting documentation. 

Education providers could suspend your course if you fail to achieve that. It will be advantageous to look for expert advice in this situation.

Don’t miss out on this opportunity to make your academic dreams a reality! Contact us today to learn how our education ONE can help you transfer to university easily and smoothly. Contact us now.

How education ONE Can Help You To Change Your Course In Australia

Are you thinking about changing your course in Australia? While it may seem like a daunting task, it’s certainly possible. 

If you’re interested in learning more or getting started, contact education ONE today. We are highly-rated education consultants in Australia with a 4.9/5 rating and we’re ready to help you make the switch.

free consultation

Our experienced consultant team is available for a free consultation to discuss your options and guide you through the process. 

You can reach us at [email protected] or 1300 083 663. Don’t hesitate to give us a call – we’re excited to hear from you and help you achieve your academic goals.

Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!

Prepare Your Journey To Study in Australia with Us!

In applying for a Student Visa to Study in Australia, you will need to prove that you have enough money to cover your travel and stay costs in Australia.
Want to find out how much money you need? Use our unique calculator and get an estimate of the amount! 🧮
You can also compare Australian Government-approved Overseas Student Health Cover providers and find the best offer for you! ⚖️

Leave a Comment

Go in the right direction

Most of our clients’ problems start because they started their study plan in Australia without anybody telling them what they need to do and prepare.

By joining our free phone session, we will help you plan your journey and recognize obstacles so you can avoid problems that could jeopardise your chances to study in Australia. And we are offering it to you FOR FREE.