Be Alert! WA Border Opening Date Announced for International Students in February 2022
The WA border opening date has been announced! This is the news that all of Australia’s international students and other Australia visa holders have been waiting for.
The Western Australian’s Government just announced that the state’s border will be open on Saturday, 5 February 2022 for international travellers under the WA’s Safe Transition Plan. Are you as thrilled as we are?? After becoming one of the most vaccinated states in the world, Western Australia Border restrictions will be permanently dismantled.
The decision on the WA border opening date was made based on Western Australia’s achievement of reaching 80% fully vaccinated rate for the aged 12 and older population in December 2021, and is expected to reach 90% of Western Australians fully vaccinated in late January or early February 2022.
What will happen after the WA Border Opening Date?
Apropos to the WA border opening update, can you imagine what it looks like after being restricted for 20 months since 20 March 2020?? Thousands of unprecedented opportunities will be available for you, especially in developing your future career!
The government has designed a thoughtful scheme to prepare for the WA border opening plan. Through the WA’s Safe Transition Plan, which will commence on the day that the border opens, the government outlined safe conditions for interstate and international travel.
The plan finally provides certainty on how businesses and WA’s way of life can continue safely with the introduction of public health and social measures. There will be some new measures that must be applied in daily life.
A Vaccination certificate and a mask will become a prominent feature, because wherever you go you’ll need it, especially in indoor public places such as in the train station, in the public transportation, or to attend a nightclub.
You will be able to dine in the restaurant or cafe, which requires you to show a vaccine certificate, without a vaccine certificate you are only permitted to takeaway.
You have to get used to scanning QRcode when visiting public places, that QRcode is connected to SafeWA application which will help the government with contact tracing and to keep Western Australia safe.
In the previous regulations, the Australian government requires that people returning to Australia be quarantined, and international students are not exempted whether they are vaccinated or not.
But according to the latest news from the Western Australian state government, the state’s borders will be open to all domestic and international immigrants who have been vaccinated, without quarantine and the need to apply for a Travel Exemption, including international students holding the Student Visa (subclass 500).
All Western Australian companies, regardless of size, update their COVID safety plans as needed to protect staff and patrons from COVID-19, or create a COVID safety plan if they do not have one. Unvaccinated people are not allowed to enter these facilities without a medical tax exemption.
The Western Australian Government allows events to be held in accordance with regulations. Event organisers will need to take reasonable steps to verify evidence of COVID-19 vaccination or health insurance exemption requirements for events with more than 1,000 participants.
Prior to the WA border opening date, you must pay attention to a few things before preparing your travel plans.
If you are an international traveller, you need to:
- Ensure that you’ve already completed double dose vaccination in your country with a TGA Recognise Vaccine, if you are vaccinated with non TGA Recognise Vaccine then the government will presume that you are unvaccinated.
- Provide a negative PCR test within 72 Hours before departure and undertake another test within 48 hours of arrival and on the sixth day.
- Implementing Interim baseline public health and social measures such as wearing masks in the high risk indoor setting and contact registration (SafeWA) at all public venues.
- Completed registration and online application for G2G Pass.
If you are a domestic traveller, you need to:
- Undertake and complete double dose of vaccination for those who are eligible to receive the vaccine.
- Provide a negative PCR test within 72 hours before departure if you are interstate traveller.
- Undertake another PCR test within 48 hours of arrival if your trips more than 6 days, but if it less than that no PCR Test is required on arrival.
- Domestic travellers also need to complete registration and online application for G2G Pass.
Unvaccinated people will not be permitted to enter Western Australia from interstate unless they are ineligible or medically exempt. Unvaccinated returning residents will be required to show proof of a negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to departure and have to complete 14 days of quarantine in a designated facility and undergo COVID-19 testing.
Packed your luggage! It’s the perfect time for you to prepare your return to Australia on the WA Border Opening Date
The Federal Government has also announced it will introduce further support for the international education sector and international students as they return to Australia.
The latest data (as in August 2021) shows international student enrolments are down at 17 % overall compared to August 2019, and the ELICOS sector has experienced the greatest decline in enrolments at 71% for that same period. By opening the Border restriction, the government hopes it can increase the enrollments and will help ensure the rapid return of international students.
Book a FREE phone consultation with one of our study specialists NOW!
More than $37 million will be available to support those international education providers most affected by COVID-19. Extended regulatory fee waivers and additional grants are elements of this. In addition, changes to visa settings will also provide much needed flexibility for international students as they set to return to Australia.
The package includes:
- Regulatory fee reductions of US$27.8 million during 2022, including certain fees registered with the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA), Higher Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA), Commonwealth Overseas Student Agency and Course Registry (CRICOS), and tuition fees Protection Service (TPS) levy.
- Extension of the current fee exemption for FEE-HELP loans until December 31, 2022, which will benefit around 30,000 undergraduate college students at colleges and public universities.
- An additional $9.4 million to extend the Innovation Development Fund, delivering further short-term targeted support to private English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) providers to diversify their education offerings into online and offshore delivery.
Now that the government has announced the WA border opening date, what do the new visa settings mean?
- Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa holders who have been unable to travel to Australia as a result of COVID-19 international border restrictions will be able to apply for a replacement visa. This will allow current and former Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa holders whose visas expired on or after 1 February 2020 to re-apply for a new subclass 485 visa of the same duration as their original visa.
- Additionally, the Morrison Government will increase the length of stay on the Temporary Graduate visa from two to three years for Masters by coursework graduates, matching that of Masters by research graduates. Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector graduates will also receive a two year Temporary Graduate visa.
- The new visa settings will also extend existing measures for students and temporary graduates to recognise time spent offshore studying online to count towards qualifying for a temporary graduate visa.
What we can do to help you?
Have your Student Visa Ready! After the WA border opening date is announced, make sure you have all the details prepared to kickstart your study journey in this beautiful state. Here is how we can help you!
- Along with our in-house Registered Migration Agents, ONE derland Consulting, we will be able to give you legal and professional advice on your chances of reaching your study and career goals in Australia.
- We can guide you through each step of securing enrollment and Student Visa worry-free and delay-free! Get our completed document checklist tailored to your circumstances and goals in Australia.
- Our experiences for more than 12 years in providing services for our clients who want to migrate through the study pathway to Australia make us au fait with the latest Australian immigration regulations and more.
Experience Australian opportunities like never before! If you are unsure of what the next step to prepare your dreamed education in Australia, or if you want to discuss your visa and travel exemption matters, book a FREE consultation with one of our education specialists or contact us, education ONE Australia, through email at [email protected] or via phone at 1300 083 663.
With years of experience helping students from many different countries, we will be delighted to assist you. Our Career Development Consultants will guide you, no matter how complex your circumstances are.
What are you waiting for? Contact us right now, and we can’t wait to see you back very soon!
Further reading: 5 Cases When Your Study Situation Has Changed – The Ultimate Guide
Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!
Prepare Your Journey To Study in Australia with Us!
In applying for a Student Visa to Study in Australia, you will need to prove that you have enough money to cover your travel and stay costs in Australia.
Want to find out how much money you need? Use our unique calculator and get an estimate of the amount! 🧮
You can also compare Australian Government-approved Overseas Student Health Cover providers and find the best offer for you! ⚖️
Most of our clients’ problems start because they started their study plan in Australia without anybody telling them what they need to do and prepare.
By joining our free phone session, we will help you plan your journey and recognize obstacles so you can avoid problems that could jeopardise your chances to study in Australia. And we are offering it to you FOR FREE.