🚨🚨 New Feature Alerts! 🚨🚨 Easily plan the financial aspect of your Australian study plan with our newest study funds calculator and OSHC provider comparer.
Got A Student Visa Extension Refused In Australia - Here Are Your Options

Extending student visas are an option for international students who study in Australia. Some of you may think that extending your student visa while you are already in Australia, is less complicated than your first application, yet it needs much preparation. Otherwise, you may end up getting your student visa extension refused. This article will explore what to do if you get your student visa extension refused, and to prevent getting the refusal in the first place. 

What are my options after refusal?

  1. Most likely, you will be in Australia when you apply for a Student Visa Extension to meet your study requirements. Hence, if you get your student visa refused based on disputable reasons, you may be able to appeal for review to the Administrative Appeal Tribunal with an additional cost. The Tribunal will then go through your case. If you could show that you should not have got your visa refused by the Immigration, they will be able to set aside the decision to refuse. This option is not available for any application refusal made when you are outside Australia. 
  2. If you get your student visa refused due to indisputable reasons, you will have 28 days to leave Australia or to reapply for a visa. 
  • Leaving Australia

You could arrange with your education provider to study online from your home country to finish your course if possible. Should you require more time to organise your return, you could apply for a Bridging Visa E to stay legally in Australia until everything is settled and you are ready to leave the country. 

  • Reapplying for a visa

You could reapply for another student visa. Make sure you have provided more documentation to support your claim this time. It can be challenging and stressful to find out what to supply to the Immigration so you can get your Student Visa granted. Consult your case with a Registered Migration Agent to avoid any difficulties and delays. 

What to prepare to prevent student visa extension refusal?

  • Make sure you have met all the visa requirements. 

The process of applying for a Student Visa extension is not any less complicated than applying it for the first time.  

What you can do:

  • Check your visa requirements by country

You may need to supply certain documents that your friends from other countries do not, based on your country of origin/nationality. The Immigration Department has provided a quick checking tool for you to find it which documents need to be attached to the application. Choose your Country of Passport and Education provider. However, please note that you may need to supply other documents based on your circumstances. 

  • Check if you need to provide evidence of an English test score

Your Australian studies may exempt you from providing an English language test certificate. Still, you must pay attention to some factors such as your country of passport, and your study duration. 

You do not need to provide evidence of an English test score with your visa application ONLY if one of the followings applies:

  1. You are a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland 
  2. You are an applicant who is a Foreign Affairs or, Defence sponsored student or a Secondary Exchange student (AASES)
  3. You are enrolled in a principal course of study that is a registered school course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), a course registered to be delivered in a language other than English, or a registered post-graduate research course
  4. You have completed at least five years’ study in English in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland
  5. In the two years before applying for the student visa, you completed, in Australia and the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.

If you do not meet one of the above criteria, you need to provide an English language test certificate. Contact us to get more information. 

  • Provide sufficient financial evidence

It is always better for you to show that you have sufficient amounts to support your Australian studies, travel, and living costs and that you wouldn’t have any financial issues while staying in Australia. You may choose to supply recent bank transaction history or annual income of yours or your sponsors. 

Never underestimate the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements from the Immigration. All applicants for a Student visa must show they are coming to Australia temporarily to get a quality education. 

The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement isn’t intended to exclude students who, after completing their studies in Australia, develop skills Australia needs, and who at that point proceed to apply for permanent residence. Immigration considers your conditions when they make a decision. In the end, when the Immigration evaluates whether you are a genuine temporary entrant, they weigh your circumstance as a whole.

  • Make sure the expert got your back 

As we mentioned previously, the Immigration considers individuals on a case-by-case basis. Hence, it is crucial to understand your circumstances and individual goals in Australia to be able to supply the right documentation and information. 

Don’t get wound up if you don’t know what information or documentation to provide because we got your back. A student visa application shall be not only costly but also time-consuming. Lesser your worries by entrusting your student visa application to the experts, and enhance your possibility of getting your visa.

With more than ten years experience, and as part of ONEderland Consulting group, we handle complex cases such as student visa refusal and cancellation. Get personalised, legal, and professional from our in-house Registered Migration Agent (MARN: 0961448), and get your visa in no time. 

Don’t waste time guessing and putting yourself through unnecessary risk. Our consultants are ready to help you figure out what you should do next!

Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!

Prepare Your Journey To Study in Australia with Us!

In applying for a Student Visa to Study in Australia, you will need to prove that you have enough money to cover your travel and stay costs in Australia.
Want to find out how much money you need? Use our unique calculator and get an estimate of the amount! 🧮
You can also compare Australian Government-approved Overseas Student Health Cover providers and find the best offer for you! ⚖️

Leave a Comment

Go in the right direction

Most of our clients’ problems start because they started their study plan in Australia without anybody telling them what they need to do and prepare.

By joining our free phone session, we will help you plan your journey and recognize obstacles so you can avoid problems that could jeopardise your chances to study in Australia. And we are offering it to you FOR FREE.